Peptides are amino acids that have linked together. When peptides link together, they form proteins.
Peptides are the building blocks of collagen and elastin fibers in the skin, so you may have seen them in your youth serums or gels.
Other peptides you may be familiar with are glutathione, our master antioxidant often used to reduce oxidative stress. Also, insulin is used to regulate blood sugar.
There are peptides that fight bacterial and fungal infections and influence growth hormone release, extracellular matrix production, and nerve cell growth and migration. Below are common peptides that Dr. Mulcahy uses at Boost:
Thymosin is a small protein produced naturally by the thymus gland, which stimulates the development of disease-fighting T cells. The thymus is an integral part of your immune system. Individual T-cells are made to respond to the millions of bacteria, fungi, or viruses that could invade your body. Commonly prescribed for treating chronic viral diseases, Thymosin Alpha has also been shown to increase innate immunity factors and help fight against harmful autoimmune processes and fatigue resulting from those conditions.
Based on the literature, Thymosin Alpha 1 has been shown to:
- Exhibit antibacterial properties
- Help eradicate unhealthy cells
- Exhibit antiviral properties
- Stop infection or cancer growth
- Exhibit antifungal properties
- Strengthen your immune system
- Increase vaccine effectiveness
- Enhance the function of certain immune cells
- Suppress tumor growth
- Improve symptoms associated with chronic fatigue
LL-37 Is an antimicrobial peptide that belongs to the cathelicidin family of AMPs (antimicrobial peptides). LL-37 plays an important role in the first line of defense against infection and systemic invasion of pathogens at sites of inflammation and wound. LL-37 shows a broad spectrum of antimicrobial activity against bacteria, enveloped viruses, and fungi. It has also demonstrated success in helping promote wound healing and it may play a negative role in atopic dermatitis and psoriasis. LL-37 was an effective agent against S. aureus biofilms and may have potential clinical applications in eradicating biofilms and treating prosthetic joint infection.
- Broad-spectrum antimicrobial activity against bacteria, enveloped viruses, and fungi
- Helps promote wound healing
- Can help control infection
- Can balance tissue inflammation
- Inhibits biofilm formation (biofilms are formed by bacteria inside the body and protect them difficult to eradicate with conventional treatments)
Peptides to Heal Injuries Like Wolverine & Support Your Winter Sports
BPC-157 (Body Protection Compound) is a peptide chain composed of 15 amino acids. It is a naturally occurring compound in human gastric juice found in the stomach. Studies have shown it to promote tendon & ligament healing, direct tendon-to-bone healing, counter the damaging effects of NSAIDs on the gut lining, repair the damage that’s done by inflammatory bowel disease, help cure periodontitis, promote bone healing and more.
Based on the literature, BPC-157 has been shown to:
- Improve healing of many types of wounds
- Protects and promotes healing of liver due to toxic stress
- Protect intestinal organs and prevent stomach ulcers
- Combat leaky gut, IBS, gastrointestinal cramps, and Crohn’s disease
Accelerate healing of skin burns
- Works as an anti-inflammatory
- Maintains integrity of mucosal lining GI tract
- Repairs tissues of GIT, tendons, ligaments, brain, bone, etc.
- Improves digestive function
Thymosin is a hormone secreted from the thymus. Its primary function is to stimulate the production of T cells, which are an important part of the immune system. Thymosin Beta 4 is most often prescribed for acute injury, surgical repair and for old athletes. It has most recently been shown to help regrow hair in addition to PRP.
- Thymosin Beta 4 has been found to play an important role in protection, regeneration, and remodeling of injured or damaged tissue
- Thymosin Beta 4 is prescribed for acute injury, surgical repair, and patients that were once athletes that accumulated injury over their lifetime
- It acts as a major actin-sequestering molecule and can be taken after cardiac injury for better healing of the tissue in the heart
Based on the literature, Thymosin Beta 4 has been shown to:
- Calm muscle spasm
- Improves muscle tone
- Encourages tissue repair
- Helps maintain flexibility
- Reduces inflammation of tissue in joints
- Encourages growth of new blood cells in tissue
- Increases endurance and strength
- Prevents the formation of adhesions and fibrous bands in muscles, tendons, and ligaments
Secret Bedfellows – Peptides for Sleep & Strength
CJC + Ipamorelin
The combination of CJC 1295 and Ipamorelin has been developed because the two can act together on the pituitary and hypothalamus to increase levels of growth hormone in your body. CJC 1295 stimulates growth hormone secretion and will keep a steady increase of HGH and IGF-1 with limited increases in prolactin, cortisol and blood sugar levels as compared to treatment with HGH (human growth hormone).
CJC & Ipamorelin work to raise natural production of HGH in a pulsatory fashion throughout the day, staying in line with the normal physiological rhythm of the body. Thus avoiding many of the pitfalls associated with exogenous administration of HGH, while still capturing the benefits of increased levels of growth hormone within the body.
Based on the literature, CJC1295/Ipamorelin has been shown to be effective in raising growth hormone/insulin growth factor – 1 levels which helps to:
- Increase bone density
- Strengthen the cardiovascular system
- Increase muscle mass
- Improve ability to burn fat
- Increase sex drive
- Improve recovery and repair from injuries
- Regenerate nerve tissues
- Strengthen the immune system
- Improve cognition and memory
DSIP (Deep Sleep Inducing Peptide)
DSIP is a well-known neuromodulator and natural sleep-promoting nonapeptide with many other physiologic functions. It has been heavily studied in research to aid in better sleep, increase energy levels, enhance your mood, reduce chronic pain, and much more. DSIP is unusual in that it can freely cross the blood–brain barrier and is readily absorbed from the gut without being denatured by enzymes. Interestingly DSIP is present in relatively high concentrations in human milk. Any mother who has breast-fed her babies will attest to the ability of a feed to induce sleep.
Based on literature, DSIP has been shown to:
- Help induce better sleep
- Relieve emotional and psychological responses to stress
- More energy
- Enhance mood
- Reduce chronic pain
Reduce Your Biological Age with this Longevity Promoting Peptide
Epitalon acts as an antioxidant by increasing the body’s resistance to stress and optimizing hormone functions. As a bio-regulator for the endocrine system, especially for the pineal gland, Epitalon has been shown to lengthen telomeres in human cells. Telomeres make up the ends of our DNA, which shorten and begin to fray as we age. Epitalon presents a novel way of reliably lengthening telomeres and repairing age-related damage to our DNA. Additionally, it restored and normalized melatonin levels in older people who have lost some pineal function due to aging.
What have Research Studies Shown?
- Upregulate telomerase activity
- Normalize antioxidant indices
- Reduce peroxide lipid oxidation products
- Increase activity of glutathione peroxidase
- Improve melatonin and immunity (cellular and humoral)
- Improve insulin sensitivity
- Decrease LDL and VLDL
- Improve tissue repair
- Anti-tumor effects
- Decrease mortality and increases life expectancy